116 Main St. Hope, RI 02831 (401) 821-5900 // Emergency 9-1-1
Copyright © 2016 Scituate Police Department, Scituate, Rhode Island USA. All Rights Reserved 

History of The Scituate Police

The Scituate Police Department was made a permanent force on July 9th, 1970, by Town Council ordinance.  It was authorized a Chief, a Deputy Chief, a Lieutenant, three Sergeants and as many Patrolmen as the town council should from time to time determine necessary.

The present table of organization includes a Chief, a Deputy Chief, a Lieutenant, a Detective Sergeant, four Patrol Sergeants, a School Resource Officer, and eight Patrol Officers.  Additionally there are four full-time Dispatchers, one part-time Dispatcher, an Administrator/Executive Assistant and an Administrative Assistant.  There is also a part-time casual Dispatcher. 

Animal control includes two full-time Animal Control Officers and a town-owned facility.  Records show since 1923 seven men served as Chief of Police in the town.  Prior to that time police services were handled by the town Sergeant.

 

  • Chief John H. Reily 1923-1946

  • Chief John J. Crowly 1946-1971

  • Chief William J. G. Lawton 1971-1990

  • Chief William M. Helm 1990-1996

  • Acting Chief John R. Devine 1996-1997

  • Chief William J. Mack 1997-2008

  • Chief David M. Randall 2008-2017

  • Chief Donald Delaere Jr 2017-CURRENT 

 

The Police Station has been located in Hope since at least 1925.  It has been at the present location since the early thirties.  Initially it consisted of the front portion of the present facility which was formerly a school.  The rear portion, the former Hope community house, was renovated and added to the station in 1979.